The picture you see to your right is a representation of what one would encounter if they decided to visit the most

popular sights in the city on a holiday. You would inevitably run into hordes and hordes of people on the street, on the train, on the bus, in the bathroom, virtually any place in the city would be swarmed with tourists and locals who have the day off. Today and tomorrow are bank holidays here, in celebration of Labor Day. If I’m not mistaken this is the equivalent of a federal holiday in the states, which means unless you are one of the unlucky few who happens to work at a place that sells things you have two days off.

I was sitting in my room today, bored out of my mind and I decided I might as well step out and venture into the city and visit the major sites, all of which I have so far neglected to visit. First, I underestimated how hot it is outside today as soon as I stepped out into the sun I thought to myself, “I wonder how long I’ll be able to force myself to amble aimlessly in this unbearable weather”, my answer would come 45 minutes later, but I’m getting ahead of the story. I took the metro towards Staromestska, which is close to the Old Town Square, I’ve been there before but hadn’t participated in the whole “touristy” thing. In the end, I decided that maybe it would be better to go across the river and explore completely uncharted territory. I got off instead at the Malostranska stop and took a tram to Namesti Malostranska (Malostranska Square). Immediately, I was overwhelmed by the amount of tourists I saw and heard all around me. I noticed a lot more Czech school kids who were out and about (how could I forget that they get the day off of school, too?) families with babies and huge awkward strollers abounded all over. I looked around and thought, “I’m not feeling this”. I settled for grabbing some goulash soup in a bread bowl at a nearby cafe and promptly headed home, the Charles Bridge could wait for me to conquer it some other time. Besides, I saw some pictures my friend took of when she went to the bridge at dawn and it looked so beautiful and serene. I think I would enjoy having it all to myself and watching the sunrise, than sharing it at three in the afternoon with a bunch of hot, sweaty tourists.

Tomorrow, one of my professors at school is taking us on a “field trip”, we’re meeting at the Old Town Square and walking around Prague to see if we can find any protests or demonstrations…not that we’re not warned about staying away from political demonstrations while abroad or anything, right?

In any case, at the bottom of this post are a few photos I took today…enjoy. Please note the crowds and babies, I am not exaggerating!